Sunday, May 07, 2006


Hi,

Would like to share a bit about my bass.

I'm using a Squier Jazz bass (made in Korea) by Fender. Change the pickup to EMG and using a Korg AX10B multi-effects pedal which also act as an amp modifier.

If i'm not wrong my bass wood should be Agathis (give long substain) but I think newer version is alder wood. http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310760506

Many people thinks that Fender bass is better than Squier. I could said it is a mindset and people are just blinded by the "brand" and not the sound.

Squier is a budget bass but it looked exactly like the original world famous Fender. If I were to set it up exactly the same for both Squier and Fender, played it with you blind-folded, I think you would not be able to tell the differences. Some might even find Squier bass nicer. Btw Reggi Wooten uses a Squier electric (made in Japan) Check out his slap and tapping on electric guitar.

My Jazz bass has 3 knobs. One for neck pickup, one for bridge pickup and the last for tone. Very versatile settings. Marcus miller added an onboard Pre-amp (Sadowsky)
My AX10B also has a compressor function and eq. I usually set the amp type as scoop (sound like Ampeg SVT).
For slapping purpose, can reduce the volume by a notch or two at the neck pickup.

If you like a Jaco Pastorius sound, reduce the volume at the neck pickup and play at the bridge pickup position.

For walking bass you can try turning down the bridge pickup and play near the last fret.

If you are talking about high end Fender bass like Stum Hamm's Urge bass which is very versatile and not cheap (4 pickups), no Squier bass can match with that.

So my advise is do not judge a bass by it's brand. Some of you might want to check out Tony Levin's OLP signature bass. $650SGD only. 5 string with 3 band EQ.
Looks exactly like ernie ball stingray. cool for slapping too (Louis Johnson style)

Ok people have fun.

Cheers,

Ben

No comments: